Thursday, December 29, 2011

Where Did I Go?

Wow!!  How time flies.  This entry should probably go under another blog name since it doesn't have any direct connection to Mongolia, but I'm putting it here anyway.  Since the last entry, Pam and I have been in Korea and Bali, and we're headed to Java next.  The Bali visit was planned for our holiday break, and the Java trip was a possibility, but the Korean visit was an adventure that we really didn't want at first but we're glad we did it. 

In a nutshell, I developed a problem with my leg that the local health center decided that I should go to Korea to have diagnosed because of the quality of their health services.  The diagnosis resulted in a surgical procedure that kept me in Seoul for 2 weeks.  I had a week from the diagnosis to surgery,which allowed me to travel the subterranean, amazingly efficient metro system that travels to all corners of Seoul and beyond.  What a wonderful, clean, modern and friendly place to hang out in.  After being in Mongolia and having to dodge assassin drivers looking to place another notch on the steering wheel, Korea was a mind blower as traffic stopped to let me cross the street.  People stopped at red lights and not once did I have to deal with a car driving down the sidewalk looking to gain a few more meters in a mass traffic jam. 

Seoul may have even more coffee shops than Seattle.  One disappointing feature for me was the prevalence of many American businesses such as Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, KFC, and McD's  to name only a few. 

When Pam learned that I was having surgery, she arranged to be with me in Seoul.  I contacted some friends who had lived in Seoul for recommendations of things to do and see.  Armed with that info, we had a couple of days to visit markets, palaces, temples, and parks and went to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea) together before I headed to the Samsung Medical Center.

I would not hesitate to go back to Korea for medical care. Many staff spoke some English and worked hard to make sure that I understood what was happening before it happened. Everything was clean and ultramodern. Since this is the Samsung Medical center, the tvs were Samsung that had movie channels in English and the ability to have subtitles in other languages. As I hobbled the hallways on crutches, many other patients would make eye contact and bow towards me or try and speak English. Having been in many a hospital in the States, I cannot envision many Americans showing the same courtesy or making the attempts to talk to a foreigner in their language. The bottom line is that the docs fixed the problem.

Seoul gives the impression that it is a very safe city. Pam would often leave the hospital between 9 and 10pm to go back to the hotel feeling very safe.

Due to some medical complications, we ended up staying in Seoul longer than we thought. The day I was discharged just happened to be the day we were supposed to fly to Bali from Seoul. Being on crutches gets a person amazing service at an airport. First, I was put in a wheelchair that seemed to be the symbol that speeds one through security, get very good seats and expedite the visa and custom process. It was great service.

Can you tell me one more time the name of that beer?

If you take our picture we'll take yours.

The local dance hall

Looking into N. Korea

Which way is the hospital?

Tunnel #4 and here are the rats.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are on the mend. Really enjoying hearing of your "adventures."
    Check on my Facebook page for a photo of all the Redmond family at our Christmas, before M & S & B & T left for Mexico.
    All the best wishes to you both for a wonderful New Year.

    Pat & Dave

    ReplyDelete